Saturday, March 17, 2007

Knitting Blog

So I caved and decided to start a knitting blog, because really I need to spend MORE time on the Internet. It seems all my favorite Blacksburg/Christiansburg knitters are on here, so why not join them. I already have an account on LJ but I am very good about updating on there. My life doesn't seem all that exciting anymore, but school will do that.

So this will be mainly about knitting maybe a little bit about medicine... we shall see.

I am working on my first sweater (well actually sweater vest). I was deathly afraid of sweaters until recently. I've knitted a couple baby kimonos which are insanely easy, and I've knit a dog sweater. So after that how much harder can an adult sweater be. I am knitting the Little Sporty Number from Sublime. I am using Sublime extra fine merino, which is to die for. It is very soft and just fabulous to knit with. I chose the pinkish/red color redcurrant. When I get back to Wytheville where my camera is I'll try to take a few pictures of it in progress.

I also splurged on some new yarn yesterday. Because when I have the day off from working and Mosaic is having a sale I just can't resist. I bought 12 skeins of Louisa Harding Merino blend in Navy. I plan on making a poncho out of it. I know I shouldn't start it now, but I really want to play with the new yarn.

I also bought Weekend Knitting, which I'd been eyeing for quiet some time. Yay for new patterns and things that I don't have the time to knit. Oh well.

I finished a set of Knitty's fetching last weekend. I made them out Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere. They are just fantabulous to wear. The pattern really needs to be a little longer on the finger part, but other than that it's a quick knit and the cables are an easy first cabling project.

I find it highly amusing that I am known as the girl that knits uteri or uteruses (I believe both are technically correct). My sister keeps asking me to knit a garnet and gold uterus for one of her friends. I have a waiting list of 4 or 5 people that want a knitted uterus, me included on that list. Pennington the cat decided shredding one was a good idea. So maybe this summer when I have a little more free time I'll be a uterus knitting machine.

4 comments:

Vouray said...

I definately need to make a uterus for the store! Did you see the picture of the one I put on my blog that is knitting? Funny!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you have started a blog. Ain't it fun. I love the sublime, too. I need to start my sweater. I am trying so hard to control my startitis until I have finished some projects, but Gina doesn't make it easy with all the tempting yarns.

jody said...

When my baby was born in October, I wanted to knit a thank you gift for my doctor and I almost made him that Womb from Knitty-but I decided on some nice alpaca gloves instead...I'm still not sure if it was a good choice or not...:)

Allison said...

Gina... yes you need to knit a uterus for the store you can even make it hokie colors or something random.

Jody... I knit a couple uteri for docs that I have shadowed as a thank you gift. They will always remember me as the girl that gave them a knitted uterus. So when I ask them for a letter of recommendation they at least have some idea of who I am.