Thursday, February 7, 2008

Honduras Part 1

Greetings Family and Friends...

Some of you probably know, but for those who don't know... I am in Tegucigalpa Honduras on a one month medical mission trip. I am here with 3 other classmates of mine... We are at the Baxter Institute which is a Theology school. Abraham and Sofia (who are recent newlyweds) are working on their international PhD program thesis. Brittney and I are working in the clinic for the month.

I left for Miami early Sunday morning and actually ended up on the same flight with Brittney, she was connecting from D.C., so it was nice to see a familiar face on the plane and have someone to go through customs with. Customs is always an interesting experience, and it doesn't help that we didn't understand most of what the security guards were telling us. They checked our luggage to my horror all my powder laundry soap had exploded all over my clothes in transit, so lots of white powder fell out as I opened by bag. I am glad that it had that spring time freshness fragrance or I might still be in customs. At least my clothes are definitely clean and smell nice.

Brittney and I oriented to the Clinic on Monday. Today and Yesterday we each spent a day working with the doctor and one day in the pharmacy. I at least know most of my numbers in Spanish, so that wasn't too bad. We did have a minor surgery today!!! and you know how much I love that. We removed a lipoma from an elbow. I've decided that I don't really like suturing elbows.. they are tricky little things. Tomorrow we are going to see patients on our own for the first time... it should be very interesting seeing as we don't know much Spanish yet. I've mastered a few phrases. Abra la boca por favor -- please open your moth, and respire profundo por su boca -- breathe deeply through your mouth. I am working on the phrase that tells the patient that I speak little Spanish and to please speak slowly and answer yes or no when possible. We are going to visit the Department of Health, and spend a few days at the hospital, so that should be fun and exciting. We will be taking 24 hour call at the teaching hospital in the OB department. Which is a little intimidating because the doctor we will be working with will not speak English... but we'll see how that goes.

The only real excitement we've had so far was getting locked out of our apartment. Abraham somehow locked the door so you could only open it from the inside. After several hours of trying to get the door open, someone had to climb up a ladder and climb in our second story window (the only window without bars on it), remove the glass shingles and screen and open the door from the inside. It was quite the drama yesterday.

I am not sure how many times I will be able to send emails... but I will to update at least once a week.

I attached pictures that I took from the plane. I haven't taken many other pictures yet, but I will try.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Take care,

Allison

1 comment:

LauraRN said...

I spent 2-1/2 weeks in "the field" with BMDMI missions a couple of years ago. (You will know them by the falling-apart red white and blue buses). It was life-altering. I hope to return to Honduras to serve again. If you are offered an opportunity to visit the Mission Home, do it!
Hugs and Prayers,
Laura